Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What?!? It's Leap Year?


Chinese New Year's Eve, January 22, 2012
Chongqing, an 8-hour train ride from Tongren, a city of 35 million people
China is a time void. The usual calendar markers do not exist. No Halloween. No Thanksgiving. No Christmas. No New Year’s. Thank goodness I still have a birthday. Chinese New Year is a whole different ball game that takes place on its own terms. China follows all of its own rules.

Without events to mark the passing day, weeks, and months, I loose track of time. It could be November or February. There’s no need to know the date … the fourth, the eleventh, the nineteenth … it doesn’t really matter. A “biggie” date, like December 25, means nothing here. It’s just another date for a teaching plan about apples, oranges, and grapes. I must think really hard about what day of the week I am currently living.

Having no sense of time is an odd and slightly dangerous feeling. It’s hard to know if I exist and if anything I do is real.

Until a few minutes ago, I forgot this year was Leap Year. Actually, I was shocked and alarmed that I had no idea. I usually get excited about such things. It’s a special day, one whole extra day to do something.

Only here, today is just like any other day. That’s China.

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty crazy. Is that the only annual holiday that's recognized by the government? I didn't think about how holidays help us mark time until now, but you are so right.

    ReplyDelete