Thursday, March 15, 2012

Spring Is A Comin' ... Please, Please, Please

It's been a long winter here. Even though I never saw any snow, the cold, damp weather has challenged my health, sanity, and soul. Those of you who know me well know how much how I hate the cold. I'm a sad representation of a Midwesterner. I hate winter. I hate snow. I hate being cold. I'm convinced that I lived in deserts in every single one of my past lives. If I didn't look so much like my mother, I would be certain I was born in Arizona and was then adopted and brought to Wisconsin.

The cold in Tongren is a whole different and far more challenging ball game. Central heating does not exist. If it's 38 degrees outside, it's 38 degrees inside my apartment. People wear their winter jackets all of the time, outside AND inside. My hands are numb with coldness 90 percent of the time. I have a heater in my bedroom, so this is where I spend most of my time when I'm home. And, the sun does not shine in the winter. A thick blanket of gray clouds have covered this city since November. NOVEMBER! It's been FOUR MONTHS since I've seen the sun in Tongren. I am not exaggerating. I hate getting out of bed in the morning, and finding motivation to do anything is really difficult because I'm just ... SO ... COLD ... all of the time. I really thought I was a stronger person, but this constant dreary and cold weather has broken me. (Insert very dark, scary thoughts here, please. I'm certain that I've thought them. Seriously.)

I try remind myself that Spring is on her way. She has to arrive some time, right? I'm certain that she's trying to scratch her way through the constant blanket of clouds that hover over Tongren.

Peek-a-boo! I see you!
Instead of ending this entry on an entirely depressing note, I decided to include some cute pictures, in attempt to cheer myself up. Some signs of Spring are universal. While walking through a market in nearby Jiangkou yesterday, I heard the unmistakable "cheep-cheep-cheep" of baby ducks and geese. Following the sound led me to the source, baskets full of the babies at 10 RMB each ($1.58). For some reason, I love ducks. If I could have a pet baby duckling that never grew up and could be potty-trained, I'd have one. I'd name him Cheepy, and I'd love him forever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment